After fourteen places in the top ten, Jon Aberasturi’s reward came in the first stage of the Tour of Hungary, after a tight sprint. It is the second victory for Caja Rural-Seguros RGA so far in this season, which is accompanied by the leader’s yellow jersey.
The stage began with a breakaway of nine riders, including the Colombian Alejandro Osorio (Caja Rural), making their way to the last lap. Another counterattack was formed with Cristian Rodríguez. However, the stage ended with a general sprint, where Jon Aberasturi was the fastest.
Jon Aberasturi: “I had the stage marked, since last year they made the same arrival. I knew it was the stage that suited me best. I was not in a really good place in the last four km, but I managed to catch the front of the race. I kept my eyes on Kaden Groves from Mitchelton-Scott, who had a chance to win the stage, then I did my very best and I could succeed. It was a bit of a liberation after so many times being close to victory. The work was good and today I was finally able to win. I am very happy and it gives me a lot of motivation to keep trying”.
Aberasturi’s De Rosa bicycle is equipped with a Repente Spyd saddle.
41. Tour de Hongrie
Stage1, Esztergom-Esztergom (118km):
1. Jon Aberasturi (Caja Rural-Seguros-RGA) 2:48:04
2. Kaden Groves (Mitchelton-Scott) st
3. Adam Toupalik (Elkov-Kasper)
4. Kamil Gradek (CCC Team)
5. David van der Poel (Alpecin-Fenix)
6. Itamar Einhorn (Israel Start-Up Nation)
18. Dina Márton (magyar, Kometa-Xstra)
27. Valter Attila (magyar, CCC Team)
1. (in yellow jersey) Jon Aberasturi (Caja Rural-Seguros-RGA)